The Mission of Keiki O Ka `Āina Family Learning Centers (KOKA-FLC) is to
educate children, strengthen families, enrich communities and perpetuate
We do this by communicating the vital importance of education, advocating for literacy, supporting parents as their child's first and best teacher, and empowering families to undertake leadership roles in their communities. All of this is done within the context of Hawaiian language, traditions and culture.
We envision a Hawai'i in which Hawaii's children begin school with the attitudes and skills necessary for success. We provide families with the support systems and resources they need to become self confident, self-determined, and self-sustaining. We see a Hawai'i where our programs flourish on every island, setting the standard for family-based education in the state. "Strong communities are developed by building strong families".
Keiki O Ka `Āina Family Learning Centers has developed a comprehensive, holistic approach to strengthen "literacy".
Reducing or Eliminating Barriers to Literacy
Families are invited to participate in new and established programs in ways that create the atmosphere and enhance the environment for real learning to occur. We are addressing these barriers through the following:
• Incorporating new, age-appropriate curriculum
• New ways to foster parent/child participation
• An emotional wellness program for parents
• Support for culture and values within communities
• Employment opportunities and training for staff and parents
• Native Hawaiian enrichment activities
• Curriculum written and translated into Hawaiian.